Software Engineer II (Backend)
CareemFull time Full day
Careem is the leading technology platform of the Greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding its services across its network to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 15 countries, has created more than one million job opportunities in the region and hosts over 30 million users. Careem’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for talented engineers to help us in our mission to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires.
Come join the Captain engineering team and help transform 30 million lives in the Greater MENA region. Whether it’s getting from one point to another, getting food delivered to you, or seamlessly sending packages across the city, our tech is there, creating amazing experiences for our customers and helping empower our captains to simplify and improve the lives of people. We are building the most powerful Super App in the region to catch rides, order food, groceries, delivery items and make payments and much more.
Our team is seeking highly motivated and talented individuals who are passionate about creating stellar experiences for our customers and captains and build amazing technology at a massive scale. We work on cutting edge technology and with a diverse set of talented individuals across many geographies.
About the role:
As a Backend Engineer on the Backend Engagement and Acquisition team, you will be a part of a functional team developing highly scalable and reliable web applications and services that our customers, drivers and partners use every day. You will be building solutions that shall work across different Careem business domains (ride hailing, food, groceries, shops, ..etc.). You will work with a group of highly talented and motivated individuals to help shape the experiences that our users interact with every day on the Careem platform and that enable the business success of our partners. Your focus will be around creating an extensible set of web applications and services, building platforms and solutions that can scale smoothly.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- 3+ years of professional experience in Software Development in Java & Microservice ecosystems.
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high-quality software against aggressive schedules.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or other related technical field.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and other fast iteration methods for product development.
- Experience in building complex web applications.
- Experience with distributed systems at scale in a cloud based environment and a deep familiarity with the AWS services (Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, SQS, Elastic Search, Dynamo).
- Experience in distributed event streaming platforms like Kafka.
- Experience in stream-processing frameworks like Apache Flink.
- Experience in managing microservices on Kubernetes clusters.
- Experience in the user engagement domain is a plus.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what's necessary to drive your projects to completion.
- Strong focus on customers and operational excellence.
Key responsibilities include:
- Write high quality, performant and reliable code while working on defined tasks/bugs independently.
- Work independently to understand functional specifications and deliver complete features.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and be willing to jump in and help resolve any incidents within the defined SLA.
- Participate in team agile processes and practices, contribute to their continuous evolution.
- Work closely with other engineers on the team to build highly scalable and robust web applications and services.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited paid annual leave
- Entrepreneurial working environment
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentorship and career growth
- Engineering experience at scale
Careem gives equal opportunities. All aspects of ownership including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.