WASH Officer HBCC
Save the ChildrenFull time Full day
22nd June, 2022
Last date to apply
29th June, 2022
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the WASH Officer HBCC will be responsible for planning and successful implementation of construction/rehab/maintenance of WASH infrastructure as per the SPHERE minimum guidelines and WHO standards in the targeted project areas. Further s/he will be responsible for planning and successful implementation and reporting of the hygiene promotion component under WASH.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Coordinate with the manager for effective implementation of the WASH activities within the program.
- Provide support in the identification of project target communities.
- To carry out need assessment for all types of WASH activities within targeted project sites.
- Preparation of design, estimates, and tender documents for all the WASH infrastructure.
- To conduct training regarding operation and maintenance of water supply and sanitation facilities
- Conduct systematic surveys, collect water samples and carry out water quality analysis as and when needed. Monitor quality of water regularly in all rehabilitated/maintained or newly constructed water supply schemes or water points within the project area.
- Regular monitoring of ongoing rehabilitation activities to ensure that all activities are executed as per design, specifications, and work schedule.
- Extend all possible technical support to other team members and contractors when and where required.
- Prepare weekly, monthly work plans and progress reports.
- Prepare and verify the work done at the site and recommend the payments to contractors/casual labor etc. accordingly.
- Take part in the selection, designing, pre-testing, developing, dissemination, and evaluation of appropriate IEC hygiene material for effective hygiene promotion in the targeted area.
- Training of community mobilizers on basic hygiene as well as interpersonal communication and facilitation skills.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities are in close integration with other project activities and maintain a record of hygiene promotion activities
- Plan and ensure the distribution of hygiene items and promote effective use of distributed hygiene items as and when needed.
- Coordinate with other stakeholders on the ground for smooth, efficient, and effective implementation of the activities.
- Follow and ensure that gender, protection, local culture, and other important cross-cutting concerns are taken into account in program implementation and reporting.
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Mechanical Engineering, or Master in Public Health, Environment, or other related fields (s).
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 03 to 05 years’ experience in WASH Projects.
- Experience in working with implementation partners.
- Knowledge of SPHERE, WHO, and national quality standards.
- Ability to use water quality testing kit i.e. Del-Agua etc.
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills and excellence as a team player.
Fluent in written and spoken English.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.