Internship in International Humanitarian Department (IHL)
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)Full time Full day
22nd July, 2022
Last date to apply
4th August, 2022
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Peshawar is pleased to announce Internship for the period of three months starting from 15th August 2022.
This internship program allows for a general understanding of the ICRC, its mandate and activities in Pakistan and provide an opportunity for students to gain exposure to the work environment of the ICRC in Pakistan.
The interns will be working with International Humanitarian Law (IHL) department of the ICRC. During the internship period, interns will be engaged in number of tasks including legal research, drafting, vetting, organising dissemination sessions, organizational and administrative support, translation and other assignments related to various activities of the ICRC delegation in Pakistan.
- Analysis of all legal questions relating to Pakistani law and International Humanitarian Law under the supervision of the legal advisor
- Identification of the relevant Pakistani laws for Customary International Humanitarian Law, Project
- Support in organising Henry Dunant Moot Court Competition and/or any other events of ICRC.
- To prepare clear, structured and well-documented reports as required, including minutes of internal/external meetings, project reports of ICRC events related to IHL.
- To assist the other departments in Alumni networking, think tank mapping and keeping the supervisor informed about the contacts maintained and activities carried out.
- To assist the IHL department in dissemination sessions.
- To draft letters and send it to the concerned authorities/ interlocutors etc.
- To assist FAS/PGE department in preparation and organizing IHL/IHRL one week course at different venues on request.
- To help in proof reading of Geneva Conventions translation.
- To assist in organizing four days Regional Islam/IHL training for Islamic studies professors.
- To assist in doing research on Islam and IHL issues.
- To assist in drafting/vetting legal agreements.
- To assist different departments for establishing their network with Government.
- To do the inventory and consolidation of ICRC library.
- Drafting of human-interest stories for various ICRC platforms.
- Drafting of activity reports of various activities for the consumption of external audience.
The intern may be asked to perform duties and tasks not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other departments when necessary.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following, mandatory requirements:
- B.A./LLB (the graduation date must be no later than a year from the date of commencement of the internship).
- LL.M degree in International Humanitarian Law will be given preference.
- Sound knowledge of the Pakistani legal system and International Humanitarian Law.
- Excellent Computer skills (standard software).
- Proven ability and willingness to work in a cross-cultural environment.
- English and Urdu (written and spoken).
Important: For enrolled students, the applicant must provide in writing a permission of the full-time availability for the internship period from the head of the department, in case the applicant is selected.
Applications that do not fulfil the above conditions will not be considered.
Recruited intern will be offered a 03-month paid contract with monthly stipend of PKR 25,000/-. The position is based at ICRC office in Peshawar.
Please note that ICRC will not provide any kind of boarding and lodging facility.
How to apply:
Your application should be submitted no later than 04.08.2022 and must comprise of:
- A complete and up-to-date CV.
- A personal statement by the student, maximum 400 words, on his/her motivation for an internship at the ICRC.
- Letter of recommendation from Dean/Head of Department.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an equal opportunity employer.
Females are encouraged to apply.
We are grateful to all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.