United Nations PakistanFull time Full day
A. Organizational Context
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat has been a partner with the number of ministries at national and provincial level, development partners, civil society organizations and academia.
UN-Habitat Pakistan Country Programme Pakistan, 2018-2022 lays down the roadmap for achieving the New Urban Agenda focusing on right to adequate housing, universal access to safe and affordable drinking water and sanitation and other basic services, sustainable economic growth, building resilience and protection and conservation of natural habitat as well as Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) particularly SDG11 aiming to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable. The Country Programme is aligned with the Pakistan United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) One UN Programme (OP-III).
UN-Habitat provides a cross-cutting approach for reducing vulnerabilities and risks before and after the disasters. The organization’s approach to disaster risk management/disaster risk reduction, reconstruction and recovery is based on its long-standing experience in working closely with the communities, provincial and local authorities to meet their needs for land, shelter, basic services, secure tenure and infrastructure while simultaneously addressing the longer-term development needs and advocating on policy interventions.
UN-Habitat in collaboration with Ministry of Climate Change started a project to enhance community, local and national-level urban climate change resilience to water scarcity, caused by floods and droughts in Rawalpindi and Nowshera cities which aims to enhance the capacity of households in selected areas of Rawalpindi and Nowshera, to construct, operate and replicate flood resilient water harvesting facilities; besides, engaging the City & District authorities to develop the rain water harvesting facilities on public buildings and flood water storages in public gardens; and also to develop spatial strategies to manage city-level developments considering climate change risks and impacts caused by floods and droughts.
In the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)/Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and building climate change resilience, UN-Habitat has started a project to promote disaster resilient school infrastructure in KP Province.
B. Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Habitat Programme Manager and direct supervision of Project Manager- Resilient Schools Infrastructures UN-Habitat the incumbent will;
- Supervise technical team, prepare and monitor workplans, project schedules and other activities carried out to achieve disaster resilient schools’ infrastructures in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Assist Project Manager in developing assessment methodologies, prioritization tools to identify the most vulnerable schools which needs repair, retrofit or reconstruction, and improvement of sanitation facilities and boundary walls.
- Develop Architectural plan and Structural drawings, Electrical plan, plumbing and sanitary details, and working drawings of each.
- supervise Preparation of Cost estimation including BoQ of each building and allied structures boundary walls, toilet etc.
- Ensure that all design, planning and site activities comply with appropriate local, national and international standards and regulations as required.
- Coordinate with District Education Officers, M&E and Planning officer E&SED for identification, site selection, and data collection.
- Supervise the implementation and monitor all construction-related activities in line with approved design, drawings and document variations and adjustments wherever required due to site conditions and approve variation orders.
- verify payments for the work done after ensuring compliance with standards, specification and test reports.
- Instruct contractors for material testing and compliance insurance
- Monitoring and reporting of the progress and identifying issues timely and work towards the solution of those issues.
- Ensure environmental disposal of the excavated, dismantled or construction wastes.
- Ensuring safety of the construction workers through following safety practices.
- Mitigate the risk through consultation with contractors.
- Any other tasks assigned by the team lead/HPM
- Promotes UN’s values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality)
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral):
- Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners,
- Respectful and helpful relations with all UN staff
D. Required Qualifications
Master degree in Structural Engineering from recognized university
- Registration with Pakistan Engineering Council.
- At least 10 years’ experience in designing and executing construction of buildings.
- Minimum 4 years work experience in designing and implementing seismic retrofitting of the buildings in Pakistan or in other country with similar building typology, preferably school buildings.
- Hands on experience of design seismic retrofitting of buildings.
- Proficiency in Autodesk AutoCAD and Revit/Staadpro/SAP/ETAB.
- At least 10 years work experience in building construction work.
- Strong experience in developing drawings, estimation, construction work and construction supervision preferably school building construction.
- Knowledge of earthquake resistant construction and technical assessment of buildings.
- Experience of rate analysis, calculating accurate quantities of material and labor and rates.
- Similar Work experience in FATA and Khaybar Pakhtunkhwa
- Experience in developing retrofitting methodologies.
- Strong experience in developing and implementing quality management plans.
- Work with UN-Habitat Pakistan and familiarity with ‘People process’ is an asset.
- Similar work experience in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa or FATA is an asset.
- Fluency in English as well as the national language of the country (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email, Internet, Microsoft Teams, Database Management, and preferably programme management applications.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.