Programme Officer - Police
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)Full time Full day
The UNODC Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its recently developed Country Programme 2016-20 with a focus on needs related to illicit trafficking and border management, criminal justice and drug demand reduction and HIV/AIDS. Pakistan’s police forces are the Government’s first responders and primary preventers of crime that affects the lives of ordinary citizens. The Country Programme through Sub-Programme 2 supports the development of police management and operational capacities, community policing, for example in human resources, training approaches, and crime data collection. Primary area for attention is crime scene management and forensic capacities
In order to develop the Government of Pakistan’s policing capacities and to react in a strategic manner, UNODC Pakistan requires the services of a Programme Officer – Police with experience in programme planning and monitoring and evaluation as well as with policing and law enforcement.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Officer – Police will report to the Adviser Criminal Justice and work closely with the Representative
The Programme Officer – Police will undertake the following substantive duties and responsibilities:
1. Design and manage the implementation of policing work under the Country Programme as part of the Criminal Justice Sub-Programme Team
2. Coordinate UNODC’s policing work with the Government of Pakistan ministries and law enforcement agencies and ensure synergies with Government policies and frameworks
3. Update and develop police training curricula, work with the e-Learning officer to develop e-Learning modules and oversee and manage training courses
4. Design, source and supervise expert input into programme activities, both substantive and for monitoring purposes
5. Monitor and provide reporting on programme progress towards outcomes, within the framework of UNODC’s Country Programme for Pakistan
6. Ensure the integrity of financial systems, review budget requirements of the programme and the office and ensure consistent application of rules and regulations in cooperation with the Programme Management Associate
7. Maintain updated data and information on UNODC programmes and activities as well as on activities of other multilateral and bilateral stake-holders for a variety of internal and external purposes (e.g. donors’ requirements)
8. Analyze the crime situation in the region and prepare and organize a variety of written outputs, such as background papers, concept notes, working and position papers, presentations, briefing notes as well as regular documents such as correspondence with governments and mission reports
9. Attend policy-making and expert group meetings to analyze and advice on UNODC relevant issues; when requested represents UNODC at those meetings
10. As required, supervise professional and support staff, in particular junior staff on substantive and programmatic issues
11. Any other duties as identified by the senior management.
- Team Work
- Planning and Organizing
Required Skills and Experience
Qualification and Experience
- A mid level professional, holding a Master’s degree in Political Science, Sociology, Statistics or other relevant academic fields, plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant professional work experience in programme management. Additional professional experience can be considered if educational requirements for a Master’s degree are not available.
- Capacity to devise, set-up and manage technical assistance programmes, preferably in the areas of law enforcement and/or governance.
- Ability to train and guide staff and consultants on programme deliverables.
- Ability to produce concise reports and presentations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.