Migration Health Nurse
United Nations PakistanFull time Full day
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Physician and Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Karachi, Pakistan
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations,
- Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
- Laboratory testing;
- TB management;
- Treatment and referrals;
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
- Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
- Required Qualifications and Experience
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in Pakistan
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Position specific skills, for example:
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Fluency in English and Urdu are required. (oral and written).
- Desirable languages: Pashto and Farsi/Dari
IOM provides equal opportunity to all qualified female and male including the physically challenged candidates.