World Bank GroupFull time Full day
3 years 0 months
5/26/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
South Asia Region (SAR):
The World Bank Group serves eight client countries in the South Asia Region, home to nearly 1.8 billion people. Clients range from large rapidly growing sophisticated middle-income countries to IDA countries to fragile and small island and landlocked states. Over the past few years, work has focused on the response to the COVID-19 crisis. In FY22, the region delivered $10.7 billion in financing for client countries and a wide range of ASAs and engagements with countries. The focus for the post-pandemic recovery lies on economic recovery and prudent fiscal and debt management; private sector expansion and job creation; climate resilience and improving human capital. The region will continue to support progress on structural reforms and invest in inclusion, gender equality, productive jobs, climate resilience and digital economy.
For more information on the South Asia Region (SAR): https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/sar
Agriculture and Food Global Practice (AGF GP):
AGF GP supports a global vision of promoting agri-food systems able to feed every person, every day, in every country with a safe, nutritious and affordable diet, and where jobs and income gains are sufficient to meet poverty reduction targets. AGF GP has an active portfolio of about 240 projects and 200 knowledge activities. Areas of focus cover climate resilient agriculture and sustainable practices; food & nutrition security; agribusiness, value-chain development and private sector investments in agri-food; and jobs and rural livelihoods
The South Asia Agriculture and Food unit (SSAA2) has a strong and active program in Pakistan covering a spectrum of issues in agricultural and rural development. Our primary focus is on agriculture and water productivity increase through the modernization of irrigation infrastructure and the adoption of climate-smart agricultural practices. Ongoing projects are also supporting rural livelihoods. The portfolio is increasingly focusing on innovative investments towards diversification and high-value agriculture, agribusiness and value chain development, and access to markets and private capital mobilization. SSAA2 is also leading an analytical program aimed at informing the policy dialogue with the Pakistan Government on reforming the overall agri-food policy framework to stimulate a sustainable transformation of the agri-food system. SSAA2 works closely with other Global Practices, especially water, environment and disaster and risks management, and with the International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Job duties and responsibilities:
SSAA2 is seeking to recruit an Agricultural Economist, based in the Islamabad country office to support the WBG analytical and operational program in Pakistan. The successful candidate will be an integral part of the existing team in Islamabad and will report to the Practice Manager for SSAA2
- Support the design and implementation of analytical and advisory work on agri-food related issues. Our particular focus is on policy issues, subsidies and distortions, repurposing public expenditures, access to markets, competitiveness, etc.
- Conduct research and rapid analyses of existing Government’s policy documents, and analytical reports (sector/subsector reviews, value chain analyses, etc.), and other research literature and donor reports.
- Strengthen international experience and knowledge to propose innovative ways for Pakistan agri-food sector transformation.
- Participate in the drafting of analytical reports, policy notes and briefs, and any other knowledge dissemination and position papers.
- Participate in policy discussion with Government’s counterparts; help develop collaboration with universities, research institutions, think tanks, and farmers’ and private sector’s representatives; participate in coordinating knowledge dissemination, stakeholder consultation and communication events.
- Provide analytical, technical and operational support to project formulation and implementation support; help fulfil corporate requirements especially on climate co-benefits and Paris alignment, gender and social inclusion, etc.; contribute to the preparation of project completion reports.
- Help ensure coordination and collaboration with any other relevant analytical works and operations; help develop alliance with other GPs, IFC and other development partners.
- Respond to ad-hoc information requests from internal and external parties, including the Pakistan Country Management Unit and AGF GP. As necessary, represent SSAA2 at technical events and present World Bank’ s views and analyses.
- A minimum of Masters in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Agriculture or related fields. A minimum of 5 years of relevant full-time professional experience in the agri-food sector or related fields in Pakistan; international exposure in South Asia or beyond is an advantage.
- Proven understanding of Pakistan institutional and political context, agriculture policies, institutions and regulations; confirmed collaboration with diverse academic institutions and professional organizations in Pakistan (universities, think tanks, private sector, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated experience in leading analytical activities as evidenced by publications and presentations on relevant policy issues at professional meetings, conferences etc.
- Proven experience in delivering short briefs and notes for knowledge dissemination to the general public, knowledge sharing events and policy dialogue with decision makers.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving and team skills with ability to find pragmatic and implementable solutions; experience in and ability to support findings and policy recommendations with relevant technical evidence.
- Proven written and oral communication skills in English, including the ability to present sophisticated issues to specialists as well as to non-specialist audiences.
- Competency to work across various subject areas and multi-disciplinary teams, while being diplomatic and sensitive to multi-cultural teams.
- High level of energy and enthusiasm, ability to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment, and willingness to travel and work under challenging conditions.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
How to apply
To apply for this job you need to authorize on our website. If you don't have an account yet, please register.Post a resume