Senior Advisor Social Development - Takeda/ Surmi
Pathfinder InternationalFull time Full day
Senior Advisor Social Development - Takeda/ Surmi
Based in Karachi
Pathfinder International is a global leader in sexual and reproductive health. We place reproductive health care at the centre of all that we do—believing that it is not only a fundamental human right, but is critical for expanding life opportunities for women, families, communities, and nations, and paving the way for transformations in environmental stewardship, decreases in population pressures, and innovations in poverty reduction. Pathfinder provides women, men, and adolescents with a range of quality health services—from contraception and maternal care to HIV prevention and AIDS care and treatment. Pathfinder strives to strengthen access to family planning, advocate for sound reproductive health policies, and, through all of our work, improve the rights and lives of the people we serve.
Pathfinder International in partnership with the governments of Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, is implementing a women-led climate resilience project locally named ‘Surmi’ in five districts of Sindh, namely Badin, Umerkot, Sanghar, Qamber Shahdadkot, and Thatta, and one district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa- Charsadda.
The Surmi project, led by Pathfinder intends to ensure that women and girls in low-resource settings have reliable access to quality health services, including antenatal care, institutional delivery, postnatal care, and family planning services communities and health systems are resilient to emergency shocks, particularly floods and drought. The project targets families and individuals through improved community health workers and health facilities and would develop an integrated framework among multiple stakeholders for collaborative learning and informed decision-making.
The following are key project objectives:
- To empower women and girls in low-resource communities with the tools, knowledge, networks, and resources to survive and thrive through today’s and tomorrow’s health needs and crises.
- To build resilient, adaptable quality health systems able to meet the primary health needs of low-resource communities and withstand emergency shocks.
- To develop an integrated collaboration, learning, and adaptation framework providing support for implementation and evidence for decision-making, advocacy, and social good.
Based on these objectives, the project will have three areas of investment – 1) community, 2) health facility, and 3) Partnership with key stakeholders.
Pathfinder is accepting applications for a Senior Advisor, Social Development for the Takeda-funded ‘Surmi’ Program. The Senior Advisor will provide technical guidance and oversight for the project’s activities. S/he will work closely with multiple stakeholders to ensure project activities are aligned with the vision, project approach and best-practices. The Advisor will ensure alignment of approaches across project activities and will coordinate with the technical team, including other in-country advisors and partner organizations, in-order to improve the quality of program implementation, particularly through a gender-responsive lens.
Key Job Outcomes:
Gender Transformative Strategy
Develop strategy and content for gender-transformative interventions, including trainings on meaningful engagement with women, men, and boys to achieve intended social behavioral change outcomes.
Social Development Strategy
Conduct social development assessments/ analyses and develop strategies to address social development needs and challenges. Develop a mentorship framework for climate champions to improve their performance and support them to be leaders for women-led resilience during project execution
Sound Technical Assistance
Provide high-quality technical assistance in the areas of gender equity and social inclusion, ensuring that the poorest and most marginalized children, especially girls, are benefactors of project activities. Support the design and implementation of targeted interventions, and conduct training with community health workers where appropriate.
Work closely with district coordinators, head office, and corresponding community-based organizations to provide technical oversight and support in order to ensure the implementation of nuanced project considerations. Provide on-site support to the community-based organization for the execution of livelihood activities with community women where needed.
Analysis and Report Writing
- Identify and document best practices and lessons learned related to social development and contribute to the dissemination of project results and findings. Contribute to the development of project reports, presentations, and other communications materials related to social development issues.
- Report regularly to the Team Lead and occasionally to headquarters as needed, providing timely updates of all situational and program developments.
Education and Work Experience
- Master's degree in social sciences, international development, or a related field; Ph.D. degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in social development, community development, or related field, preferably in international development projects
- Knowledge of social development issues in low-resource settings, including gender, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in designing and implementing social development strategies and plans and promoting community participation and ownership.
- Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders. Preferred: the ability to communicate in Sindhi/ Pushto
- Commitment to inclusive programming that encourages full participation of individuals regardless of gender, disability status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or other marginalized status.
Preferred Education and Work Experience
- D. degree in social sciences, international development, or a related field.
- Preferably in international development projects
- Preferred: experience leading effective social development interventions, including supporting social inclusion mainstreaming in sectoral plans and implementation strategies.
Minimally Required Job-Specific and Organizational Competencies:
- Problem-Solving: Proven ability to develop and present tailored solutions to specific needs and situations.
- Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using the local language and English language
- Climate Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: knowledge of climate change, family planning, and reproductive health principles, practices, and services, including program strategies and indicators.
- Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels. Ability to speak across a range of technical issues that may be outside the individual’s area of expertise.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
- Travel required (30% or less)
- Uses cellular and office phones, laptops or desktop computer
- This job description is intended to describe the general nature of the work and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of this position.
Application procedure / How to apply:
- Interested applicants are requested to include the contact details for at least 3 references in their resume.
- Please submit your application via this website no later than May 28, 2023.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer Statement
Pathfinder International provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Safeguarding and Protection Statement
Pathfinder is committed to the safeguarding and protection of the people we serve and our staff. We have zero tolerance for any type of behaviour that inflicts harm on children, young people, adults, our staff, and partners including sexual abuse, harassment, bullying, and exploitation. We do everything possible to ensure that we recruit only those who are suitable to work with us. We expect that everyone we hire will abide by our safeguarding and related policies and will report any suspected or known violations. This job is subject to a range of vetting checks as legally permitted in the country where they are being hired. By applying, the job applicant acknowledges they understand our intent to verify suitability to work with us.
How to apply
To apply for this job you need to authorize on our website. If you don't have an account yet, please register.Post a resume