Assistant Professor (Stem Cell Translational Vision Scientist)
Medical CollegeFull time Full day
Aga Khan University, chartered in 1983 as Pakistan's first private international university, is committed to the provision of education, research, and health care of international standard relevant to Pakistan and the region. The affiliated Aga Khan University Hospital has well-equipped investigative services and provides state-of-the-art clinical facilities
This is a joint appointment between The Centre for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research (CRM) and the Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (OVS). It will provide an excellent opportunity in a highly enabling environment for the successful candidate to pursue their scientific passion and drive the application of biomedical science to improve human health
The Aga Khan University (AKU) has partnered with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) - an internationally renowned Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research - in developing and evolving CRM. CRM is a state-of-the-art facility to undertake cutting-edge research on stem cell and regenerative medicine. OVS is a newly formed Department at AKU that aspires to be a regional center of excellence; it delivers international standard subspecialized and multidisciplinary eye care services integrated with education, research, and professional development. OVS offer a highly collaborative environment for translational vision science that builds on inter-departmental strengths in molecular genetics of inherited retinal diseases, ocular oncology, retinopathy of prematurity, and early detection of childhood vision problems
This appointment is for a new thematic program at CRM entitled “Stem cell translational vision science program” that will work on ophthalmology-based stem cell research.We invite applications from an outstanding scientist who has a track record of excellence in research to build and establish an internationally competitive vison science program in stem cell and regenerative medicine
The successful applicant will be supported with startup funds and additional resources as deemed appropriate
Reporting to the Interim Director, CRM and Chair, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, the successful candidate will be expected to conduct a vigorous program of independent, externally funded research, attract excellent trainees, mentor future researchers, and work in a highly productive collaborative environment. The candidate will also work closely with specialized medical staff, nurses, optometrists, technicians, and technologists on projects related to but not limited to retinal disorders, glaucoma, cataract, corneal transplant, orbital reconstruction, and ophthalmic tumors
The candidate is expected to:
- deliver high quality scientific insight and establish a new area of research at CRM in stem cell translational vision science
- catalyze early-stage innovations, bridging the gap between fundamental research and practical application for patient impact
- ensure effective project decision-making and the delivery of project milestones
- establish and maintain links with relevant researchers and other academic institutions
- write proposals and build collaborative multidisciplinary relationships to move forward research ideas and secure intramural and extramural funding
- have a competitive publication record of original peer-reviewed research, and develop or have an established extramurally funded research program
- provide evidence of their commitment to multi-disciplinary collaborative research and excellence in teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- serve as a member/leader of department/hospital/university committees related to research
- undertake other responsibilities as assigned by supervisors.
Candidates must have:
- a PhD or equivalent degree and postdoctoral experience demonstrating outstanding achievement in a relevant biomedical subject area. This includes stem cell biology, organ development, tissue regeneration, stem cell differentiation, and gene therapy/genome editing using CRISPR/Cas9 technology. Experience in clinical translational research with stem cell therapeutics and regenerative medicine would be an asset
- at least three years’ experience of teaching/research in a HEC recognized University with minimum of two years’ post-terminal teaching experience
- a track record of excellence in relevant research area (via publications, presentations, grants, patents etc.)
- established, independent and vigorous extramurally funded research program in an area relevant to translational vision science
- an interest to work in a multidisciplinary environment and address important questions in stem cell and/or regenerative medicine related to vision science
- clarity on research plan and start-up funding needs
- ability to work independently and proactively; professional conduct that fosters a high-performance collaborative team culture
- excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- excellent consensus building and conflict resolution skills, exhibiting the ability to advocate with stakeholders at all levels
- strong analytical and project management capabilities
- curiosity to acquire new scientific learning and openness to coaching/mentoring
- ability to engender enthusiasm and motivate others with their vision and potential contributions.
Please send your detailed CV and cover letter to [email protected] and mention the position number "10032908" in the subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be submitted latest by June 30, 2023
How to apply
To apply for this job you need to authorize on our website. If you don't have an account yet, please register.Post a resume
National Communications Expert
UNFull time Full day
Please apply through the following link and application submitted through the mentioned link will be accepted ONLY: National Communications Expert (unido.org) Minimum Education: Masters Minimum Experience: 5 Years(At least 5 years of experience in communications or similar job is required....
Senior Migration Health Nurse
United Nations PakistanFull time Full day
IOM, as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and...
Consultant (Civil Engineer)
United Nations PakistanFull time Full day
Purpose of the Consultancy/Background Purpose of the consultancy is to get the refurbishment of health Centres as per quality standards/specifications and to oversee the refurbishment works at provincial level Planned timelines (subject to confirmation) 3 months, to start from July...