Management Information System Consultant
Chemonics InternationalFull time Full day
Background: Chemonics is a Washington DC-based international development firm that has managed over 1200 projects in all key development areas, in approximately 145 countries around the world, and currently implements nearly 150 projects in 83 countries. In health, Chemonics is known for its expertise in human resources for health (HRH) and supply chain management, two critical building blocks for health systems strengthening (HSS). We led the HRH2030 global project, supporting more than 30 countries to increase domestic investment in HRH, strengthen HRH leadership and governance capacity, and improve health workforce performance and productivity. Chemonics Global Health Division supports a number of HSS projects that address many functions of the health system, such as governance, private sector engagement, health financing, and health information systems, with a common goal to achieve Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
Chemonics in Pakistan:
Chemonics’ has a strong track record in Pakistan and is a trusted partner to both USAID and the Government of Pakistan, having implemented nearly 20 global, regional and bilateral programs in country since 1985. Chemonics currently implements the Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project. GHSC-PSM purchases and delivers health commodities, strengthens national supply chain systems in more than 30 countries (including Pakistan), and provides global supply chain leadership to ensure lifesaving health supplies reach those in need, when they need them.
Overview of Pakistan Building Healthy Families Activity:
Building Healthy Families Activity (BHFA) is a USAID funded 5-year project aiming to improve population health outcomes in Pakistan through stronger primary health care systems and encouraging uptake and continuation of voluntary FP/MNCH services. Using a market development and health systems strengthening approach, BHFA will support the GoP in Sindh & KP province and the private sector institutions to achieve three results:
- Increase capacity of the government and private health institutions to lead resilient, responsive FP/MNCH systems.
- Improve utilization of quality FP/RMNCH products and services; and
- Empower men and youth to communicate about, demand, and use essential services.
As a member of BHFA consortium , Chemonics will lead the strengthening of the following sub-systems: commodity security, supply chain, and last mile distribution; HRH management and planning; government stewardship of mixed health systems and developing health markets; pandemic preparedness; maternal and perinatal death surveillance and response system; and the integration and use of data from different information systems The latter is the focus of this consultancy (activity 1.1.4 of the BHFA work plan).
Scope of work for the MIS Consultant:
The consultant will support the two provincial departments of health & population welfare in Sindh and KP to strengthen their use of data from the District Health Information System (DHIS) and the Contraceptive Logistic Management Information System (cLMIS) with the DHIS. To achieve this, BHFA is proposing to integrate cLMIS and DHIS data by making these two databases interoperable. The consultant will study the feasibility and plan for the interoperability of the two databases and the integration of supply and demand data. This, in turn, will support provincial authorities and decision makers to take, timely actions at the strategic and operational planning level, and make evidence-based decisions.
The specific tasks of the Consultant will include:
- Along with the BHFA/Chemonics Team, participate in the introductory and orientation meetings with relevant stakeholders at the provincial level and adjust the scope of work based on the identified needs.
- Conduct a situation analysis of the functionality of the cLMIS and DHIS with a focus on completeness and quality of data related to the supply side and the demand/utilization side of FP/MNCH services.
- Design and conduct consultative workshops with the Department of Health (DOH), Population Welfare Department (PWD), Peoples Primary Healthcare Initiative (PPHI) and other relevant stakeholders from the NGOs and private sector to
- Present the results of the situation analysis and issues with the functionality and use of cLMIS and DHIS.
- Identify systemic root-causes of issues with the functionality and use of DHIS and cLMIS data and indicators.
- Plan activities to make the 2 platforms interoperable so that data from both can be integrated into a dashboard of indicators to inform on the gap between supply of FP/MNCH products and demand and utilization.
- Based on the deliberations of the workshops, develop a feasibility report including the scope and design of the support package needed for the integration and interoperability of the relevant systems i.e., cLMIS, DHIS and any other MISs.
- Situation analysis report on cLMIS, DHIS and functionality of other MISs.
- Report of consultative workshop conducted with DOH, PWD, PPHI.
- Report of consultative workshop conducted with the private/NGO sector.
- Feasibility report and plan on interoperability, integration and alignment of different FP/MNCH MISs i.e., cLMIS, DHIS etc.
The consultant will collaborate closely with the Sr. Data Systems Advisor based in Islamabad, Provincial HSS Advisor based in Karachi, and under the overall supervision of HSS Team Lead based in Islamabad.
Level of Effort: The consultant will work up to 30 days between October and December 2023.
- Postgraduate degree in Computer Sciences, IT, MIS or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience of working in the IT sector, with a special focus on MIS and dashboards.
- Expertise in the interoperability of databases
- Sound knowledge of health and population sectors
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Professional fluency in English
Application Instructions: Please submit your application to the link below.