Community Liaison Officer, (Part Time Role) Grade - AO, Islamabad (Internal Only Campaign)
Foreign & Commonwealth OfficeFull time Full day
Note: All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, experience-based segment and the behaviours and technical/ professional skills-based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note - the salary is non-negotiable.
Main purpose of job:
Working with the existing CLOs, help UK-based staff, partners and families settle into life on the compound and in Islamabad and Pakistan more widely. Build and use wide-ranging networks in the diplomatic community and beyond to identify and advertise social events and employment opportunities. Provide support and guidance to staff and families on welfare and resilience issues, sign-posting professional assistance where necessary.
Roles and responsibilities:
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a real difference. The CLO is often the first person that newcomers interact with: you can therefore have a positive impact on the way that staff and families remember their first experiences of arriving at Post. Working with the other CLOs, you will help staff, partners and families settle in, feel comfortable and secure and part of the wider community. With activities going on every day, and opportunities for spouses and families to integrate beyond the UK in Pakistan community, you will also be a central source of information. Collating all of that and promoting it will be critical to building a “buzz” around being here! Staff welfare will also be a central part of your role. When life isn’t easy, the CLO also plays an important role in supporting staff and families. Many will turn to you for advice, and you will be an important first port of call, offering a sympathetic ear and knowing where to go for further assistance. Building a strong, working relationship with the existing CLOs, and working out how best to run the role as a team, will be critical.
Overall you will be expected to:
- Take over responsibility for newcomers from the existing CLO when they arrive. Ensure that a “buddy” has been allocated and that the relationship is working.
- Support familiarisation tours for new arrivals, initial visits and follow-up visits to enable newcomers to settle into life at Post.
- Build a wide-ranging network of contacts in the diplomatic and NGO communities and beyond, acting as a central point for information about cultural, sporting, historical and gastronomic events throughout Pakistan. Collate that information and communicate it effectively to help encourage staff and families to take advantage of what’s on offer. Work closely with the British Club to help target events at key sections of the community.
- Maintain an open door policy and act as a first point of contact for all UK-based staff and their families who wish to discuss any issues that they may be facing at Post. Be in a position to quickly assess the person’s needs and guide them to the correct source of advice and assistance where appropriate.
- As a team with the other CLOs, coordinate and manage publication of regular Post newsletters, share CLO news/information via regular emails and continue to improve and target communications to the right audience.
- Complete and return bi-annual cost of living returns (COLA).
- Act as the point of contact at Post for all DSFA-related activity, including completing the DSFA Spouse and Partner Annual Employment Report
- Working with the other CLOs, maintain and update the Post Report, Post Factsheet, Welcome Pack and Buddy List. Review, update and maintain the CLO Folder in the shared Teams area.
- Act as representative on relevant BHC Committees
- Support the Post Crisis Management team on welfare issues and act as Welfare Manager in a crisis.
Level of language required: Fluent
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
Essential on arrival:
- Strong communication skills
- Self-starting, flexible, and dynamic. Innovative and creative.
- Organised and efficient
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Good team player
- Good IT Skills
Seeing the Big Picture, Managing a Quality Service, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
Application deadline Application deadline - day Application deadline - month Application deadline - year
26 September 2023
Administrative Officer (AO)
Type of Position
Working hours per week
South Asia & Afghanistan
Type of Post
British High Commission
Number of vacancies
PKR 55,830 per month
Start Date Start Date - day Start Date - month Start Date - year
1 November 2023
Other benefits and conditions of employment
For BHC candidates, the Country Based Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply. The basic salary will be PKR 55,830 per month. This salary is non-negotiable.
'Please note that the current salaries are being dollarized and processed in USD (using a fixed corporate exchange rate from November 2022) to provide cushion against the current external market conditions. This is a temporary measure and is subject to review at regular intervals. The payroll will revert to local currency processing once the external market conditions are normalised.
This post is suitable for flexible working in addition to the normal working hours and may be required to stay overnight if on field visit. In that case he/she will have to work outside the normal working hours and stay overnights which benefits from a shift disturbance allowance, overtime/TOIL claim as per rules.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCDO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
"Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the behaviour-based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 26th August 2023 (latest by 23:55 hours PST).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and no telephone enquires will be dealt with. Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it