Aviation Security International Operations In-Country Coordinator, Grade-EO, Islamabad
Foreign & Commonwealth OfficeFull time Full day
Note: All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, experience-based segment and the behaviours and technical/ professional skills-based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Main purpose of job:
The UK has the third largest aviation industry in the world, and aviation security has become a high priority in light of the current threat environment. Whilst we have control over security arrangements applied in the UK, our influence over security procedures applied to inbound flights is much less direct. Yet it is of great importance that the right security measures are applied for flights to the UK, for the safety of all passengers on those flights whether UK citizens or not. And it is of economic importance, for the UK and partner countries, that we maintain the conditions under which essential air lines can continue and grow.
The Transport Security Directorate (TSD) works across the Department for Transport (DfT), His Majesty’s Government (HMG) and with partners to mitigate the threats the transport sector faces domestically and internationally. We lead on high profile work to implement and improve the transport sector’s cyber security, maritime and aviation security regimes as well as working with international partners to raise global standards and build capability. As the national security threats to transport evolves, DfT work to ensure that these issues are reflected in the Department’s work to ensure that we balance prosperity with security objectives.
Within the directorate, the Aviation Security International Operations (ASIO) division support Department for Transport (DFT’s) strategic priorities by working collaboratively with host states and partners to assess vulnerabilities and building aviation security capabilities in a number of high-risk locations – ASIO’s priority countries. The work undertaken by ASIO is critical in supporting senior officials and Minister’s risk tolerance and approach to mitigating the inbound aviation threat to the UK.
ASIO works ‘hand in glove’ with DfT’s Aviation Security Strategy & Policy (ASSP) Division to manage the risk of an attack against inbound threats as well as working to improve global aviation security standards bilaterally and through raising international standards.
ASIO’s vision is to be an engaged and empowered team that delivers a world leading service, working collaboratively with our partners to mitigate the risk of a terrorist attack against inbound civil aviation.
The In-Country Coordinator will directly support the Aviation Security Assistance Officer (ASAO) based in Islamabad to build and sustain relationships with the host State governments and other key stakeholders in Bangladesh, and Philippines on a wide range of aviation security issues in order to help deliver ASIO’s core objectives of improving Aviation security standards and building effective relationships to facilitate the delivery of ASIO’s Country Plan and Priority Action Plan. The role will be responsible for the delivery of Capability Development (CapDev) projects in the ASIO Country Plan and Priority Action Plan including Project management, financial management and technology maintenance and consumables supplies. This role will report directly to the Aviation Security Assistance Officer.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
The main duties and responsibilities of the In-country Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
- Provide effective and efficient office support to the ASAO in the development, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of CapDev activities on a timely basis to assist ASIO’s priority countries.
- Responsible for delivery of day-to-day engagement and maintenance of effective working relationships and partnerships with aviation security stakeholders and other governments to achieve ASIO and DfT AvSec objectives.
- Leading on all administrative procedures including logistical support for aviation security assessors, record keeping, travel bookings, organising meetings/events, finance management and expense reconciliation.
- Provide protocol and cultural advice.
- Responsible for delivery of day-to-day engagement and maintenance of effective working relationships and partnerships with Aviation Security stakeholders and other governments to achieve ASIO and DfT AvSec objectives in the relevant priority countries.
- Responsible for providing logistical support for Aviation security assessors to facilitate ASIO assessment/assurance activities in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Philippines and inward delegation visits to the UK including record keeping, travel bookings where required and organising meets/events. Close communication and engagement with other In-Country Co-Ordinators and Aviation Security Assistance Officers in other locations may be necessary.
- Responsible for financial management of office expenses and Cap Dev projects in line with ASIO Country Plan.
- Requirement to conduct occasional travel to other ASIO priority countries and locations, especially, but not exclusively, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Philippines and to the UK.
- Contributing to FCDO High Commission corporate contributions
- Contributing to ASIO/DfT corporate objectives
Essential qualifications, skills and experience 1
- Fluent written and spoken English and Urdu and able to interpret between English and Urdu fluently where required and ability to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely to a wider audience.
- Good oral and written communication skills and proven stakeholder relationship management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of a team and be adaptable to the working environment.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Project management and financial management skills and a strong customer focus and ability to deliver quality service. Able to organise and prioritise workload and meet deadlines and changing priorities whilst maintaining close attention to detail and without compromising the quality of the work.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams).
- Ability to work on own initiative.
Language: English and Urdu
Level of language required: Fluent in both English and Urdu
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience 1
- Operational aviation security experience
- Ability to draft formal communications to stakeholders e.g. Notes Verb ale
Required behaviours 1
Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together
Application deadline 1
23 November 2023
Executive Officer (EO)
Type of Position 1
Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week 1
Duration of Post 1
South Asia & Afghanistan
Location (City) 1
Type of Post 1
British High Commission
Number of vacancies 1
Salary Currency 1
PKR 204,226 per month
Start Date 1
1 February 2024
Other benefits and conditions of employment 1
For BHC candidates, the Country Based Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply. For other than BHC candidates the basic salary will be PKR 204,226 per month.
Please note that the current salaries are being dollarized and processed in USD (using a fixed corporate exchange rate from November 2022) to provide cushion against the current external market conditions. This is a temporary measure and is subject to review at regular intervals. The payroll will revert to local currency processing once the external market conditions are normalised.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work forces are women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCDO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Additional information 1
’Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, motivational segment and the behaviour-based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Please note applications without (a) and (b) will not be considered.
A. Complete the Online Application Form
B. Complete the Motivation and Competency Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by 23rd November 2023 (latest by 23:55 hours PKT).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines for British High Commission
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and no telephone enquires will be dealt with. Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, medical, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it