United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)Full time Full day
01/30/2024, 05:30 AM
02/13/2024, 12:59 PM
National Personnel Service Agreement
Crisis management / Country Management Support
Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Education & Work Experience
Bachelor's Degree with 2 years of experience
English and Urdu
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP works with the Government and people of Pakistan to develop local solutions to development challenges. In an evolving development context, we support Pakistan’s efforts to build a more equitable, prosperous, peaceful, and resilient society, and to achieve Sustainable Development Goals. UNDP’s programmatic interventions focus on sustainable development, democratic governance and peace building, climate and disaster resilience, gender equality, development impact and crisis response. In a rapidly changing development landscape, UNDP is bringing innovation in development, to identify more effective solutions that add value for the people affected by development challenges.
UNDP’s goal is to improve the lives of the people of Pakistan through keeping people out of poverty; governance for peaceful, just and inclusive societies; crisis prevention and increased resilience; innovative solutions for development; clean affordable energy; women's empowerment, and gender equality.
UNDP Pakistan is looking to hire a Communications Officer with experience in crisis communication and with knowledge of forming linkages between development programming in communication plans.
The Communications Officer will work under the supervision of the Head of Communications Unit, to advocate and position UNDP’s work in Pakistan. The Communications Officer will work closely with UNDP Programme and project teams, UNDP Innovation-Accelerator Lab, staff of other UN agencies, UNDP HQ & Regional Communications team, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors, and other development stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Ensure the implementation of UNDP Pakistan Communication Strategy
- Provide input to the implementation of UNDP Pakistan’s Communications strategy to position UNDP as a thought leader and partner of choice.
- Provide input in undertaking thematic campaigns that highlight success stories as well as nation-wide and localized impact of UNDP’s work.
- Liaise with UNDP programmes and projects to identify potential awareness raising campaigns, documentary plans, and human-impact stories highlighting UNDP’s impact on the ground.
- Ensure the development of a wide series of multimedia Products (including microsites, photo essays, narrative features, videos, and infographic materials).
- Provide input in the production of key communications digital products, such as the UNDP Pakistan Annual Report.
- Ensure all external and internal communication, including knowledge products (reports, blogs, presentations, brochures etc.,) follow UNDP brand guidelines, editorial guidelines, guidelines for gender sensitive communication.
- Maintain regular contact collaborating and co-creating, with innovative media partners, to develop creative briefs for products such as gifs, illustrations, and animated videos.
Knowledge Management & Reporting
- Collect content for UNDP’s corporate platform, such as the website as a resource for Pakistan specific development information, with knowledge products (Articles, Blogs, Stories etc.,). This also includes supporting Units with maintaining microsites.
- Coordinate with UNDP projects to update project briefs and maintain the updated briefs.
- Maintain and update lists of traditional and non-traditional media partners.
- Provide inputs in developing the Communication Strategy, Annual Work Plan, while bringing innovative ideas, and ensuring that insights from measuring digital engagement are addressed. Along with this, support with the Unit Work Plan, Integrated Work Plan, and Business Plan etc.
- Maintain a repository of key documents on shared spaces like Teams or SharePoint.
Coordination and Administration
- Support CO staff and project teams/personnel in identification, documenting and drafting of best practices and lessons learned.
- Support in providing content for One UN Results Report, and for UN’s website, and all efforts to Communicate as One.
- Support in implementation of joint UN campaigns, and International Days (UN Day, Women’s Day, Human Rights Day, 16 Days of Activism, etc.,).
- Support in organizing donors’ and media visits on thematic campaigns and documentaries.
- Support in launch of key publications (such as Human Development Report, National Human Development Report, Development Advocate Pakistan).
- Provide administrative support (procurement, finance, event management etc.) to the Partnerships and Communications Unit
The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline’
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Digital & Innovation
- Data storytelling and communications: Skilled in building a narrative around a set of data and its accompanying visualizations to help convey the meaning of that data in a powerful and compelling fashion.
- Behavior change communication/communication for development: Knowledge of appropriate digital communication methodologies for development and behavior change, and ability to apply them practically.
- Social Media: Knowledge of social media and ability to advise the use of social media for development outcomes.
- Advocacy strategy and implementation: Ability to create and implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
- Creative direction and copywriting: Ability to creatively communicate concepts in an engaging and simple way
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
- Business Direction & Strategy: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends: to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master´s degree or equivalent) in social sciences or equivalent, in International Studies, Design, Journalism, or Communications or related field is required, or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in social sciences or equivalent, in International Studies, Design, Journalism, or Communications or related field, in combination with additional 2 years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree.
- Up to two years (with Master´s degree) or minimum two years (with Bachelor´s degree) of relevant experience in social sciences or equivalent, in International Studies, Design, Journalism, or Communications or related field is required
- Having Graphic design/Photoshop, audio/video/photography editing.
- Having knowledge of applying innovation approaches in communications.
- Experience in website management, knowledge management, and working closely with communication focal persons across teams.
- Experience in managing administrative tasks (procurement and finance) is an asset.
- Experience in event management is an asset.
- Experience of working with tools such as Adobe, Canvas, CorelDraw, Piktochart, Mailchimp, etc.
- Experience in managing organizations’ official social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), Microsoft Office, Google software, etc.
- Experience of working in crisis communication with a UN organization or with an international organization is an advantage.
- English and Urdu
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.